PortalHomeFAQMemberlistSearchRegisterComic WIP TrackerDownloadsLog inChat
Translate the Website
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Eric Draven [The Crow]
by ParaDo0x Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» Let's make your own meaning of "M.U.G.E.N"!
by skhsato123 Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» Works by Predator
by volzzilla Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» EMPEROR SINZROSS FULL RELEASE
by goodbot16 Yesterday at 9:11 pm

» SvC Allen Snider
by PatrikSuccat Yesterday at 9:08 pm

» Upcoming 2015-2017 movies that are so hyped by the very YOU!
by Yunnin Yesterday at 6:12 pm

Special Features at MMV

Share | 

Having multiple versions of a character?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
yolomate

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 20th 2015, 8:37 pm

I got 2 mugen for this: new and cool versión DC& MARVEL fighters chars and a mugen with old, beta etc versions of DC & MARVEL chars!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Helio

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 21st 2015, 2:18 am

It is true that for some chars there are more than one good version that it's worth it, and many times it is hard to pick one, and there is no need to choose one and remove the other. Loganir and Zvitor Cyclops are both top quality chars and it's a shame to discard one.
However, I like to pick and having only one version of each char. Maybe because I see Mugen as a comic platform (a kind of "universe" where there coexist Marvel, DC, DBZ and SF). For me it's more like a dynamic comic than a video-game, and therefore, more than one version doesn't make sense.
The only exception so far is Joker. I can't decide between Alexziq/Fervicante's JokerTAS and The Joker from Sic-1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flammableking

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 21st 2015, 3:03 am

I choose the best version in my opinion, and keep only one of it. Extra slots in my roster are reserved for 1 character per slot. No more than that. Just take a look at Super Smash Bros.

The first Smash game has 12 playable characters...or, does it? Luigi takes up a slot, and he's exactly the same as Mario, but with minor touch-ups... Technically meaning there are only 11... Bummer.

Super Smash Bros. Melee. 25 characters...

Exclude Dr. Mario, Young Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, and Roy... We're looking at 19...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl had 35 characters...right?

Remove Lucas, Ganondorf, Wolf, and Toon Link... Only 31.

In Smash, we can't dig into it and easily change fighting styles... We are stuck with those characters. If they fought differently from other characters, it'd be ok, but there are too many clones!

Clones...waste...slots...

Marvel VS Capcom: 2 WOULD have had 56 characters, if it wasn't for an extra Wolverine and a palette swap of Ironman taking 2 slots, leaving us with 54.

Let's say you have a Mugen that consists of 10 characters... And, you make all slots different versions of Goku... You may as well change the name to Super Goku Invasion Starring Goku!

Mugen is about variety. A bunch of the same character, even if it looks different, but fights EXACTLY the same... Is not variety... Especially if it's 2 of the same character, even if they fight differently.

But, that's just the way I see it. I just think no matter how big a roster is... It's Mugen, Dude... Go crazy. Make every slot different. It adds personality. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flammableking

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 21st 2015, 3:05 am

And, don't even get me started on the clones in Smash 4...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flammableking

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 21st 2015, 3:08 am

Dr. Mario
Lucas
Roy
Dark Pit (Seriously?)
Toon Link
Falco
Lucina
Back to top Go down
View user profile
volzzilla

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 21st 2015, 10:35 am

in my opinion, you people that go for single versions only are missing out. off the top of my head, i have duplicates that i like alot in:
- baron strucker (2)
- thanos (4 if include symbiote)
- silver samurai (2)
- iron man (6)
- hulk (5)
- captain america (3)
- spiderman (3, but i think everyone should have both zvitor and seth z version)
- iceman (2)
- jean grey (3, one is dark phoenix)
- cyclops (5, one is a dark WIP, another is a dark private edit)
- deadpool (2)
- joker (5)
- batman (5)
- poison ivy (3)
- superman (5, including both versions logansam released)

i don't have one of those really super big screenpacks either, few hundred. and focused on comic chars only. i'm talking my main mugen here. there is another where just store whatever in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
btony89

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 21st 2015, 11:56 am

that's true, there's alot of good versions (i have 7 ironman's counting the one that have a spanish voice Wink ) but It depends on one's taste.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0y46-XHBIoPw2vo3yDmO2w
btony89

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 21st 2015, 12:15 pm

@flammableking wrote:
I choose the best version in my opinion, and keep only one of it. Extra slots in my roster are reserved for 1 character per slot. No more than that. Just take a look at Super Smash Bros.

The first Smash game has 12 playable characters...or, does it? Luigi takes up a slot, and he's exactly the same as Mario, but with minor touch-ups... Technically meaning there are only 11... Bummer.

Exclude Dr. Mario, Young Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, and Roy... We're looking at 19...

In Smash, we can't dig into it and easily change fighting styles... We are stuck with those characters. If they fought differently from other characters, it'd be ok, but there are too many clones!

Marvel VS Capcom: 2 WOULD have had 56 characters, if it wasn't for an extra Wolverine and a palette swap of Ironman taking 2 slots, leaving us with 54.

Let's say you have a Mugen that consists of 10 characters... And, you make all slots different versions of Goku... You may as well change the name to Super Goku Invasion Starring Goku!

Mugen is about variety. A bunch of the same character, even if it looks different, but fights EXACTLY the same... Is not variety... Especially if it's 2 of the same character, even if they fight differently.

But, that's just the way I see it. I just think no matter how big a roster is... It's Mugen, Dude... Go crazy. Make every slot different. It adds personality. Very Happy

good thing you mention mvsc2, that game in my point of view did not age very well, the other day i was playing again and the stages and the music just seen to off compared to the first mvsc, i think capcom was in love with wolverine to put 2 versions of him, but thats just my opinion scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0y46-XHBIoPw2vo3yDmO2w
ldpp

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 21st 2015, 2:42 pm

i like to collect them and whenever i can i mix two or more so i can have only one in my roster :p
Agony (2)
Angel (3)
Archangel (2)
Aquaman (2)
Avalanche (2)
Batman (8 including Batzarro, beyond, animated, vampire batman)
baron strucker (2)
captain america (4)
carnage (4)
Cyclops (3 including master cyclops edit)
Darkseid (2)
Doomsday (2)
Electro (2)
Deadpool (3)
Flash (4 including one with new52 patch)
Greenlantern (3)
Greenarrow (3)
Havok (2)
Hulk (6 including hulk2099)
iceman (2)
Ironlantern (2)
Ironman (6)
Martian manhunter (2)
Metallo (2)
Namor (2)
Nick Fury (3)
Redskull (3)
Red Tornado (3)
Rogue (2)
Shazam (3 including one beta)
silver surfer (3)
Spiderman (5 including symbiote spiderman)
Supergirl (2)
Superman (5)
Thor (2)
Venom (4)
warmachine (2)
Wonderman (2)
Wolverine (4 including Wolvenom)

like others i have one mugen for dc/marvel chars mainly and another where i have interesting chars from other games
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NamelessOnlinePlayer

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 27th 2015, 11:13 pm

In my opinion, I feel it's because mugen is to some, a way for people to build their dream games & rosters.
In my case for example, I only search for MvC styled characters, that includes Marvel, Capcom, DC & even Infinite's KOF characters.
When it comes to Marvel "veterans" (characters that officially appeared in MvC), I choose custom versions because they offer something new from what has been already seen in the official games.
With characters such as Silver Surfer and Superman, I download different versions, test them and choose the one that I consider the best, and with the ones like Symbiote Spiderman and Evil Ryu, I put them, but keep them in small amounts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl_qw6J6u1OSvtQFmnEepJQ
Darthpool

PostSubject: Re: Having multiple versions of a character?   September 28th 2015, 2:10 am

@flammableking wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Having multiple versions of a character?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Mugen Multiverse :: Mugen :: Mugen Discussion-
Jump to: