Most comic mugen places want you to get permission for anything and everything. The rest of the mugen community (popularized most by Mugen Fighters Guild) want you to just give credit toward whatever you do.
Here is our new edited design of those two ideals.
- If editing a current character towards your own updated version, get permission if possible (except on iconic things that are known to be closed source like Thor) If talking to the author not possible, then do it at your discretion but maybe talk to other people who might be more knowledgeable about the idea w/that project before making a final decision. If the creator tell you no to permission yet you still want to share whatever, then release patches *ONLY* and not the full character. This also does not mean you should be taking the work of others, make minimal modifications, and then proclaim as your own work.
- If editing existing sprites towards something brand new, give credit to whoever you got the base from at the minimum. You can try for permission, but you are not roped into their decision if they will not agree. Up to the sprite artist when taking into account iconic closed source content like mentioned above.
- If you edit an open source character towards your own release, you cannot now claim the character is closed source.
- If want to create a full game project using others work, give credit to the original creator and not let permission or lack there of, prevent you from doing whatever. You can try and get permission, but if its a negative one, take the original creator's opinion into account along with consultation of the subject with other people to decide your final decision on using or not. Ultimately its your decision whether to use or not to use.
- A full game project does not consist of taking a bunch of characters, stages, etc as is and then putting them all into a screenpack without standardizing gameplay/fx/etc and calling it a full game.
- Host with authorization first
- Unless a significant timeframe has not passed yet, if previous permission granted for any of the above, or anything else regarding mugen permissions, then it cannot be rescinded.
These are mainly up to the individual. If you want to go this route or the traditional comic mugen community route of get permission of everything, then that is your call. But at the minimum, please do the above. Thank you.