Subject: Re: Hosted Release: Feedback for Angel/Archangel by Arkady June 7th 2012, 6:50 pm
Okay, this one won't be pretty, sorry.
- The basics, on the whole, are very, very choppy. Standing HK does not even look like it's aligned properly.
- With how well animated the wings are everywhere else, it seems odd that they stay perfectly still on crouch.
- I know you took a lot of these from the sos_1_bros sprites, but crouching MP does not look right at ALL with feather wings.
- Spinning Halo and Uplift are good, even if they're similar. Thrust and Dive are good, even if they're similar. Wind... the projectile seems to travel too slowly, but the concept is fine. I actually only just now noticed that Thrust and Dive have different versions. Nice.
- Fallen Angel (QCB+PP) does VERY little damage, and should probably be doable in air. Actually, none of the hypers seem to do very much damage, but this is the worst offender. Sky Scraper's fine, I suppose.
- This is just my personal preference, but I really liked the sos_1_bros Archangel, and I was disappointed that we don't see more of his wings extended, especially as your redo of them looks so good when we do see it. It just looks bland seeing the triangle wing stubs when the Angel wings are so well done. Could you at least animate the wings more in his stand, if nothing else?
- Everything I said about the basics applies here as well, and something else I just noticed is that the hitbox on crouching HP is WAY too small. Looks like he's doing a wing uppercut, except... he isn't. I love the air basics, and the crouching ones are fine, but I'd like to see some wing-extended moves on stand as well. Crouching LP in particular looks like it could be done standing up. I don't really have the old archangel to compare, though, so I can't get into any more detail.
- Spinning Halo is still fine. Feather Darts are fine. Dive and Thrust are still fine. Hyper Spin is still fine.
- I don't know if it's just me, or if I'm using a bad stage or something, but most of Hyper Swoop seems to take place off-stage, and that's not good at all. I'd appreciate it if you fixed this, or told me what I have set up wrong, or whatever.
- The aerial daggers hyper should be able to be performed IN THE AIR.
- I like the concept of the Apocalypse hyper, but it's really busy, and much of the hits seem to happen off-screen here too, depending on the stage. On some stages, the final Sunfire hit doesn't even do anything. Might just be my fault for using bad stages, but I still thought I should mention it. Also, the opening thing he does, the first couple of hits of it? That could easily be a special move of its own.
On the whole I was just disappointed that this feels so different from the original archangel and so similar to the Angel mode, especially with how great your upgrade to Madrox was. There's only so much I can complain about that though, because of course it's your character and your choices are the ones that matters. If I feel like it later, I may see if I can hunt down the original version to refresh my memory and come back with a bit more to say.
TL;DR, Angel's awesome but needs some polish, Archangel was a bit of a disappointment for me.
EDIT: I found the Infinity polish of the original Archangel to contrast this to... and yeah, I just really don't like Archangel's stance. It's like Angel's stance, which only works because he's flying. Even the very last frame of the transformation-to-Archangel animation would work better. I also greatly prefer wings-extended for stand, and wings-retracted for crouch, and it'd be nice if that crazy wing somersault hyper showed back up. Your Arch's flying animation is freaking SWEET, though.
Also WOW the throws are nice.
Hosted Release: Feedback for Angel/Archangel by Arkady